On the second day of Thanksgiving, your favorite blogger gave to you…CANDIED PECANS. Candied nuts are signature to the holidays, and can be used in so many ways. As gifts, on pies, on SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE (that may just be a hint)!!! Anyways, every time I try healthy candied nuts I end up disappointed. I just want the ones from the middle of the mall or Cabela’s that smell delicious, taste delicious, and well..just are very delicious. That crunch, smell, and flavor is something I totally nailed with this recipe, and I hope you guys think so too! 🙂
yields: 4 cups prep time: 5 minutes cook time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar***
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups pecans
- 2 egg whites, whisked
- Preheat oven to 300°F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the cane sugar, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a separate, larger bowl, coat the pecans with the egg whites. Dump in the sugar mix, and coat the pecans with it.
- Lay the pecans in a single layer on the cookie sheets. Place in the oven and cook for 40 minutes, tossing at 20 minutes.
***If you are trying to make this strict paleo, you can use 1 cup of coconut sugar instead of cane sugar + coconut sugar. However, the nuts will not caramelize as well.