If you eat a paleo diet and don’t have the slightest obsession with bacon, you’re lying. Everything is better with bacon. EVERYTHING. I could go on all day about how good bacon is and everything you can add it to, but I’ll save you from that time and just advise you to experiment for yourself. And you can start with this amazing maple bacon roasted butternut squash. I originally fell in love with the maple bacon combination when I received my package from Steve’s PaleoGoods which included their Maple Bacon PaleoKrunch Cereal. It was love at first taste, and my life hasn’t been the same ever since. Not only was that cereal my inspiration for this recipe, but it also pairs nicely with it! This can be eaten as a side dish or a dessert, and is bound to be a crowd pleaser! p.s. Applewood smoked bacon is the BEST! 🙂
In order to cube the butternut squash I like to first cut it in half both lengthwise and widthwise and then peel off the skin with a vegetable peeler. You’re sure to get the most bang for your buck this way because you don’t have to waste a bunch of squash by trying to just cut the skin off.
Coat your squash evenly with coconut oil to ensure a bit of crispiness on the outside, and a nice, soft inside.
These have a nice caramel-ey coating on them, it’s oh so delicious 🙂
Maple Bacon Roasted Butternut Squash
serves: 4 prep time: 10 minutes cook time: 30-40 minutes total time: 40-50 minutes
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (use vegetable peeler)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 4 slices uncooked bacon, diced
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup**
- optional: cinnamon, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the butternut squash cubes in a bowl and toss with melted coconut oil.
- Toss with the bacon, maple syrup, and cinnamon.
- Pour evenly onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes.
***To make this 21 day sugar detox friendly, omit the maple syrup. The butternut squash will still provide sweetness, and the bacon will taste great with it!