I’m always searching for new ways to make vegetables super delicious, because to be honest, sometimes I find it hard to eat my veggies. Don’t get me wrong, I love them, but they get a little old sometimes. Anyways, this recipe was a total experiment. I had no idea if these spices would work well together, but I went ahead and tried it. And I’m glad I did. The sweetness from the cinnamon fades into a spicy flavor from the cayenne. Mmm, these are good!
To make these:
Cube your sweet potato and butternut squash, and cut your brussels sprouts in half.
Toss them with coconut oil
Sprinkle with your spices
Toss ’em onto your baking sheet
P.S. use your trimmings from your brussels sprouts and make Nom Nom Paleo’s brussels sprouts chips!
Sweet & Spicy Roasted Vegetables:
serves: 4-6 prep time: 10 minutes cook time: 40 minutes total time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed (1/2 large squash)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and cut vegetables.
- Toss vegetables in melted coconut oil.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper and toss.
- Spread evenly on baking sheet and bake 40 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes.