***Update: this is not actually chunky monkey ice cream (banana ice cream with walnuts and chocolate chips), I labeled it that when I made it because I thought it fit the chocolate, banana, and sunbutter combination. Even though it isn’t the titled flavor, I promise it’s super delicious! 🙂
The 21 day sugar detox is pretty much my favorite thing ever. I’ve never felt so energized and de-bloated in my life! It’s truly amazing what sugar can do to your body! However, I am a human being and I have an awful sweet tooth quite honestly! But I would recommend the detox, really anybody can complete it. My mom who doesn’t have the best eating habits did it with me and did really well, she didn’t cheat once. The following tips helped us, and I hope they can help you too.
- EAT THIS ICE CREAM IF YOU HAVE A SWEET TOOTH!
- Prep, prep, prep. Prep your meals. Prep snacks (grain-free granola recipes like this and this were my favorite). Prep fresh vegetables that you can snack on during the day if you find yourself grazing the fridge. Ultimately, just have things that are 21 DSD approved on hand to ensure that you won’t fail; fail to plan, plan to fail.
- Keep the 21 DSD almond butter cups or other “not” sweet treats like these in your freezer, so that when a sweet tooth does strike, you can give into it without the guilt of “cheating”.
- Remind yourself that this is only 21 days. 3 weeks. That’s it. Out of all the days in your life, you can make it through 21. And once you do, you will feel so proud of yourself, I promise.
- Make a goal-like list. Why are you doing this detox? What do you want to gain from it? How will you feel when you’re done with the 21 days? ex) “I will be less bloated if I complete the detox” or “I will sleep better, and have more energy during the day”
- Distract yourself from food. Don’t sit on the computer, scrolling through pinterest, looking at all the sugary recipes you’ll be able to eat after this. Go out and be active. Take a walk, read a book, play with your dogs/little kids. Anything to keep you from dreaming about food.
- Surround yourself with a good support system. You may not need counseling, but it’s always good to have someone to talk to. You might want to complain about your cravings you have during the first week, but after a good vent sesh with your BFF, you’re bound to feel better.
- Complete the detox with someone! Your best friend, brother/sister, mom/dad, aunt/uncle, a coworker, you name it! When someone’s in the same boat as you, you guys can talk about all the fun recipes you want to try, your energy levels, and other “nerdy” things people who aren’t on the detox wouldn’t understand.
- Be active. I don’t know about you, but if I spend my day on the couch or in bed watching netflix, I’m about 10x more likely to eat badly. If I get a workout in or do something productive, it motivates me to eat healthier.
- Try new recipes. Find them on pinterest, the 21 DSD blog, or from pretty much any paleo blogger. (Taylor Made It Paleo, Paleomg, etc.) Or be creative and make your own!
- Fill out your success log! Not only does it help you keep track of how much you’re eating, sleeping, and exercising, it’s fun to look back on and remember how you felt during different stages of the detox!
- Don’t go crazy on your first day back at a “normal” diet. Continue with the dietary changes you’ve made and gotten used to over the past few weeks. Your mind and body will thank you. Start with fruit if you want to add in more sweets.
And now for the Chunky Monkey Ice Cream recipe!! If you haven’t gotten the 411 yet, chunky monkey refers to banana, chocolate, and peanut butter combinations. But since over here we like to keep it paleo, it’s banana, chocolate, and sunbutter. But I don’t blame you if you choose otherwise. This recipe is totally 100% 21DSD-approved and you would never be able to tell! I fed this to several of my friends, and there were no complaints! In fact there were a lot of compliments! Just try this for yourself! I promise you won’t regret it 🙂
For those of you who have good depth perception skills, you can probably tell that my rubber spatula is dripping that ice cream “batter” all over my blender..hehe.
More blender pictures because I’m new to this whole food blogging thing. Please don’t judge me. Actually, feel free to criticize, I could probably use the help.
Ahh here’s a bowl of that beauty. Probably didn’t run it in the ice cream machine as long as I should have considering it started melting immediately after being put in the bowl.
You like my focus on the bowl and the fading of the banana? And my lack of photography term knowledge? Okay, enough of my commentary…here’s your recipe! Oh…and you’re welcome 🙂
Chunky Monkey Ice Cream (paleo, 21DSD, grain-free, dairy-free, sugar-free)
- 1 banana (green-tipped if on the 21 day sugar detox)
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 Tablespoon sunbutter (or peanut butter, almond butter, or other nut butter if you’d prefer)
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Optional: cinnamon
Procedure (for an ice cream maker):
- Get your ice cream maker ready (bowl frozen, ice cream maker assembled)
- Blend all ingredients until smooth
- Slowly pour into your ice cream maker, following the instructions for your specific machine.
- Let it spin around in the ice cream maker until it’s the texture you’d like it. (Mine took about 15min)
- Scoop out and enjoy! I love topping mine with paleo, 21DSD banola
Procedure (for no ice cream maker):
- Blend all ingredients until smooth
- Pour into ice cube trays, or silicon cupcake molds
- Place into freezer
- Once the mixture is solidified, dump the cubes into your blender.
- Add more coconut milk, or some almond milk, and blend. (You could add xanthan gum for more volume as well)